As we enter our 32th year, Spectrum continues to offer a warm, nurturing family of dedicated teachers who envision a classroom environment where there is no limit to what students can achieve. The Spectrum team: teachers, administrators, counselors, and parents, takes pride in a partnership encompassing academic success, self respect, and community service.
The Spectrum learning environment centers upon effort. Teachers promote and support high levels of intensive group activities, instilling within students a belief that challenges are solved by strong cooperative effort.
Spectrum students are motivated to reach a higher level of thinking: to accept the challenge of a difficult book, to embrace reading and writing as life-long tools, to solve a multi-step math problem from different perspectives, and connect learning to the world that surrounds us. Recognizing what they can accomplish, Spectrum students persevere in order to broaden their scope of knowledge in this 21st century.
- Many students accepted to competitive New York City public and private high schools. Approximately 15 percent of students are accepted into one of the city’s Specialized High Schools (Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, Stuyvesant, etc.)
- Foreign language: Mandarin Chinese (8th grade)
- Regents courses in 8th Grade: Algebra, Living Environment, US History
- Diverse school community welcomes students and families from more than 20 nations speaking more than 15 different home languages (including Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Farsi, Hindi, Italian, Korean, Polish, Russian and Spanish)
- Enrichment programs: Chess in Schools, Lincoln Center Shakespeare, MSQI Debate, Girl Be Heard, DreamYard
- Partnerships such as Fordham Step, Prep for Prep, TEAK, and more
Want to learn more before applying?
Enrolling your son or daughter in the Spectrum Academy is an investment in their future. This investment will pay dividends in the form of acceptance to prestigious high schools and colleges, leading students to successful careers.
Tradition of Excellence
The Honors Academies at MS 118 are open to students in Districts 9 and 10 who are ready for an accelerated middle school curriculum to help ensure placement in the top New York City public and private high schools. Spectrum Academy is an honors academy for students who demonstrate strong academic interest and commitment, but who may need a more nurturing environment to ensure they reach their full academic potential.
Spectrum students attend a variety of
high schools. Our focus is on individualized
placement, recognizing each student’s unique
talents and needs. Affiliated with HEAF, TEAK,
and City Prep, Spectrum is proud to have
placed students in the following schools:
• Stuyvesant High School
• The Bronx High School of Science
• Brooklyn Technical High School
• Fiorello Laguardia High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts
• American Studies at Lehman
• The High School for Law, Government, and Justice
• Bronx Leadership Academy
• Marble Hill HS for International Studies
• Fashion Industries
• Art and Design
• Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis/
• International Careers
• Bronx Center for Math and Science
• Clinton (Macy Program)
• Eagle Academy
• Preston High School
• Aquinas High School
• St. Jean Baptiste
• Monsignor Scanlon High School
• Fordham Prepatory School
• Cardinal Hayes High School
• St. Raymond’sAcademy
• Horace Mann
• St. Raymond High School